Saturday, November 11, 2006

Quote of the day: "Lift up the receiver, I'll make you a believer" (M.L. Gore of Depeche Mode, from Personal Jesus)

Hm, I do not think Mr. Gore could have imagined how prophetic those words could have become. For when I look around me in much of the western world today we all appear to be searching for meaning somewhere. No the Goat man has not gone and found Jesus and is now on some crusade to spread the word, but rather I am concerned like I think a lot of us are with the spiritual void in which we inhabit. Okay, so the word spiritual might be a little scary for some but I want to make the distinction that this deep connectedness that we all appear to be looking for may not be found in organizations, institutions and certainly not the material things we appear to still delude ourselves will bring us happiness, but rather maybe through some deep inner reflection.

No, I am not saying I have found nirvana. The fact is I may be as lost as the next man or woman. Reflection often yields more questions than it yields answers. Nonetheless, just imagine if a lot us lemmings out there could stop marching around the mall or racing to get to the next meeting and take time to think about the bigger picture, namely what really connects us deeply to others, the world and life in general. Maybe we can all agree on what it really is not, namely acquiring more possessions, or joining some institution that we think will do the mental heavy lifting for us by providing some ready made belief system where all we have to do is abandon ourselves to belief. No for me I think it is about connecting with those around me deeply. Naturally this means that the social circle may not be as large as it once was but possibly I end up getting something more meaningful out of life.

And now for something completely different…

No comments:

Post a Comment